Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm called to three... (priorities)

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride. Every day is an adventure, either in wiping snotty noses (last week) or discovering the fall leaves through new eyes (today). The Thanksgiving season causes me to desire togetherness, special moments and most of all time with my family. I'm learning that I can't fit everything in every day but I can fit in the things that I make a priority. I have been (slowly) reading Meg Meeker's book 10 Habits of Happy Mothers which is fantastic, by the way. It gave me pause to think about her suggestion to write down all the things I'd like to do in life... it was a long list from exercise goals to book club. Then she suggests making a short list of your main goals in life right now, in this season. Wow. I'm still thinking about it but I think the following are the main ones:

1) Live life as a servant and Jesus-follower, consistent and real - mind body and spirit
2) Love my family well: husband, daughters, parents&brother, church, the poor, the lost
3) Raise up my two daughters to follow God and be women of character and influence

That's it, my friends. I can't add to that my fashion, scholastic, decorating, traveling and vocational goals. Those things are sometimes a part of my life I'm not saying I won't do them at all. I need to remember that I meet my goals when I accomplish just those three because first at least in this season, I'm called to these.

Will keeping that in focus help me to spend my time well? I think it will. Can I let go of my perfectionism long enough to simplify my life and in so doing manage to experience it? We will see. In this busy season, we will see.

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment